Tuesday, February 28, 2012

I Come From Comfort

As my heart is heavy thinking of the community of Chardon and all involved with the tragedy yesterday, I hug my school ager tight before he catches the bus.  My little one tells me she is ready to eat lunch and my emotions are always a barometer for what I eat.  Most of the time will power comes into play and discipline has to take up the slack.  I look in the cupboard and see some whole wheat apple pie bread my husband brought home from Great Harvest.  Darn him for tempting me with carbs, but today my heart needs some help.  Today the kids and I feast on grilled cheese.

I remember my dad eating a slice of good sharp cheddar with his homemade apple pie, and so I began. As I fire up the Foreman I slice the bread, pull fresh deli cheddar out of the fridge and found the left over turkey bacon from Sunday's breakfast.  Butter is definitely in the question but moderation, I'm not completely unadulterated.

Add caption
Assembling my sandwich I realized how we come together as humans when we need it and the food we love is there for us to gather around and soothe us while we fellowship.  Friends, food is the magnet that brings us together in a paramount events.  Sometimes fun, sometimes somber...always a comfort.

Gather the ones close to you, put some soup in a crock, a pan of saucy pasta in the oven or some grilled cheeses on the grill and Comfort each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment