Thursday, February 9, 2012

Lett-uce Eat Braised Pork

In my quest to eat really good food but cut out some calories, I started to toy with the idea of lettuce wraps.  I remember my first bite of the odd concoction.  The lettuce was cold, wet and a little hard.  The meat was way too saucy and ran everywhere.  I hated the fact that I looked like a child when I was done eating them.  Oh how we've learned to wrap since then.  There are so many elements that go into this flavorful, lo-cal, Asian inspired dish.  Read on fellow calorie conscious, point counting foodie, we to can eat...

First off and I think most importantly, you need to make some amazing pulled pork.  Slow roasted swine is a delicacy in our home.  It is low in calories, high in protein and full of flavor.  This particular little piece of piggy was braised in Dr. Pepper.  I know, you're probably turned off now.  I was too.  Chef Ryan did not have me at 23 flavors.  I asked why not diet and I was told that he didn't like the idea of the fake sugars, I was satisfied and let it be.  Put a 3-4 pound boneless pork loin in a dutch oven or large oven safe pot fat side up.  Pour in roughly 3 cups of Dr. Pepper or enough to cover the bottom third of the roast.  Add one small onion, sliced.  Two cloves of garlic peeled.  Two chipotle peppers in adobo plus one tablespoon of the adobo.  One tablespoon each of cumin, salt and fresh ground black pepper.  Place your pot on the stove and bring it to a boil.  Once that has happened turn off the heat and put the lid on and place it in a 350 degree oven.  Braise the roast for 4 to 6 hours flipping the roast over half way through.  Add more Dr. Pepper as necessary to ensure 3/4 of the loin is covered at all times.  I like to have this prepared a day or 4 ahead of time.  Heck pull it out of the freezer from the pulled pork sandwiches you had last month.

Secondly, the lettuce.  I love butter for wraps.  It comes in a bright green and a deep purpley version too.  I like to pull this out of the fridge, wash and pat dry first.  By the time you are ready to "meat" them, they have come to room temperature.  Easy.

Third I make the dressing.  I despise store bought dressing.  It is so easy to make just about any kind with ingredients you have anyway.  It's fresh, yummy and you can make just enough for that night...or not.  Just be sure to use it within the week if it is creamy base.  I love mixing flavors like I mix hair color.  Think of food like the yin and yang, light and dark, sweet and salty and then throw in something small and unexpected that makes you happy just for fun. For this dish I combined half cup safflower oil, a quarter cup rice vinegar, about 2 tablespoons of good course ground mustard, 2 Tablespoons of teryaki sauce (you can use reduced sodium soy too),  one minced garlic clove and a pinch of ground ginger.  Whisk, shake, blend, ninja...emulsify.

Brown rice takes for-ev-er to cook but is worth it.  I am crazy about soft, moist and nutty brown rice.  Mixing also is crazy.  This took me a while to figure out, so listen up and I'll save your sanity and your pans.  Four cups water to one cup rice.  Bring the water to a boil with nothing in it.  Add the rice, stir and turn down to med low for up to 30 minutes for simmering.  While that is going on I shredded carrots, and finely sliced red pepper.

Now it is time to assemble.  Rice in the middle of the plate.  One cup is a serving.  Lettuce down, place pork in the middle, no more than an ounce to an ounce and a half.  Carrots and a couple of peppers on top.  Drizzle your awesome homemade dressing and sprinkle some sunflower seeds and enjoy.  For my weight watchers this meal works to be 10 points.  A small price to pay for such a satisfying meal so chow down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment