Monday, April 16, 2012

Carpe Picnic

This weather makes me want to have a picnic.  Today I will teach my friends the art of impromtu picnic busy mom (or dad) style.

First, have a plan and a back up.  Select the location; a park, parking lot, your neighbors front yard or your living room.  Usually if I choose my neighbors yard I pack more food, just sayin'.  Blankets are best for sitting on as well as a serving area and I keep one in my super mom shuttle.  You never know when you will need to party on a blanket.

Next food choices.  I like to keep my picnics utencil free, just one less thing to deal with.  Hot dogs come to mind but really any grilled meat or even portababellas will work combined with a yummy bun and the right condiments, you had me at grilled.  Yes you could buy chips but I'm gonna let you in on a secret.  Kale, romaine, thin sliced veggies and potatoes, olive oil, some fresh herbs and spices make great chips if grilled to crisp.  My fave way to do this quick and mindless is set the convection oven for 300 and wait 10 to 15.  Package in a br9own lunch bag and tada veggie and a munchie.  Make a dip, salsa or guac to go with and now you don't have clean up either because the family ate it all!

Dessert and drinks are easy, homemade cookies or fruit.  I always have an over abundance of sport bottles for water or juices.  Enlist the kids help by telling them they are going to a party and they will have no pro9blem helping.

Ready, set and party picnic!

1 comment: